I love food!

Hi, I am Jo and this is my blog about my life. Here you will find entries on cooking, gardening, food safety and the interesting things happening in my search for a frugal way of living. My home is located in South Florida and I live with my husband in a family neighborhood. This is the sub tropics so my garden and season may be a bit different than yours. I look forward to seeing what you have to say as time passes. Read on and have a beautiful day!
Jo

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Words to go with the Cape below..

Yesterday while loading the photo of the cape that I finished I got sidetracked. Really sidetracked. Thus the photo of the completed project was posted before the words that went along with the photo were drafted.

In a couple weeks I will be traveling to Boise, Idaho for a national conference and with my Florida blood figured it might be a bit chilly for me that far North. After toying with the idea of a wrap for the cool weather then pricing them it became apparent an alternate plan was necessary. There are a couple of jackets that are lightweight and one really heavy wool coat in my closet but nothing a bit dressy that could be multi purpose. The items were all really casual, or in the case of the coat, designed for frozen tundra temperatures.

The pattern I used was Butterick B5819 and it was purchased on-sale online. Here is a link to the Butterick website with all of the pattern information. http://butterick.mccall.com/b5819-products-27967.php?page_id=872&search_control=display&list=search
The fabric is a blizzard fleece that was on-sale at Jo-Ann Fabric and there was a 25% off coupon applied to the price as well.  The clasp was the most expensive part of the project and it was $13.25 on Amazon. Everything else that went into the project was already in the ever growing stash of fabric and supplies. Most of the sewing was done by hand while sitting on the couch with documentaries playing on the T.V.Total cost right around $20.00.

The directions were confusing for me as I chose a fabric that really should be hemmed and the directions were for fabric that did not need to have seams finished, so I winged it. It forced me to do a few odd things in the construction and any experienced seamstress would be shaking their head in exasperation.

All in all I am quite pleased and hopefully it will get some use.