I love life!

Hi, I am Jo and this is my blog about my life. Here you will find entries on cooking, gardening, food safety and the interesting things happening in my search for an inexpensive and healthy way of living. My home is located in North Florida and I am relearning how to take care of myself at almost 50. This is the deep South so my garden and season may be a bit different than yours. I look forward to seeing what you have to say as time passes. Read on and have a beautiful day!
Jo

Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Republican National Convention

2012 Republican National Convention Logo.png
The RNC has wreaked havoc on my life. But, you say, the RNC is not til later in the year and has not even occurred yet.

Yes, it is the same RNC. It is The Republican National Convention and it will be just North of here in Tampa.
But how can it be affecting my life already you ask??

These are important people of whom a large percentage are currently in the business of running our country. Scores of people are working behind the scenes to ensure these men and women will be safe the entire time they are in Tampa. As these are the people who will  be determining the Republican delegate for President of the United States. Not to have you think the Republican Party is the target of my angst. The DNC is happening in Charlotte, NC later this year as well. The preparations for both are similar.
Democrats.org Obama for America

The preparations can not be discussed but know the food supply will be safe.  We train year round on food inspection. We train on Agroterrorism (Yes, I laughed when signing up for that one). We train to work with other organizations in case of emergency. And we are a mere low budget State organization.  

We train, the federal organizations train and anyone even marginally involved is put through their paces
(read me). So even though my affiliation is not Republican my job involves protecting the public. They are the public and ethically I am bound to do so. Unfortunately, many in congress so not feel the same obligation, And that is in both parties.

But I digress.

The RNC has added roughly a week of work to my schedule and that is just til now. Can you imagine ho much time is added to the people who are not marginally involved? Spread that across facilities security, security of personnel as well as anti-terrorist intelligence, traffic control, air traffic safety and countless items that one can not even begin to consider. That means thousands of people in local, state and federal capacities are working extra and costing the nation more money. This to ensure that those involved in our political process and the families that will travel with them will be held safe from harm. ( What? It is in Tampa - do you think the family will pass up some time in sunny S. Florida on the gulf???)

The question becomes, "Does the convention bring enough money into the local economy(ies of Tampa and Charlotte) to offset the expense to the public? I have no earthly idea.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Just thinking........
JO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always appreciated and I love to hear what you think. Especially my overseas reader! Have a great day!