I love life!

Hi, I am Jo and this is my blog about my life. Here you will find entries on cooking, gardening, food safety and the interesting things happening in my search for an inexpensive and healthy way of living. My home is located in North Florida and I am relearning how to take care of myself at almost 50. This is the deep South so my garden and season may be a bit different than yours. I look forward to seeing what you have to say as time passes. Read on and have a beautiful day!
Jo

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Back from Training in Atlanta and A Dress for Maddy

Most of this last week was spent training with the U.S.D.A. in Atlanta and I got home Friday afternoon.
Sadly, the computer connection in Atlanta was not strong enough to even check my personal e-mail and blogging on a state computer is frowned upon. Thus my Kindle was used to check e-mail and the blogging put aside until now.

Future posts will include a short blurb on labeling requirements for the food you are purchasing in the store or I may even set up another blog in the future as Food Safety could be a blog in itself. We shall see how it works out.

Hubby was busy training for an Iron Man Triathlon yesterday morning and that left me with time on my hands.  Since it was raining garden work was out and housework was not in the cards, a trip to Jo-Ann Fabrics was the perfect solution. If you go be sure to use your coupons from the Sunday paper and sign up to be on the mailing list for even better deals.

There was enough fabric on hand to make a toddler dress for Maddy but nothing suitable for trim and no bias tape. Bias tape was necessary for her sundress ties as well as for another project in the works.


Enough chatter! Here is the dress.

The sunny yellow ribbon really brightens the dress.


Another view. Tradtional Ric-Rac at the bottom hem. 

How was it made? 
I found a pattern for a pillow case dress at "Think Liz" at http://thinkliz.com/free-sewing-patterns/. It was too big for a toddler so I shortened and narrowed the width of the dress. Everything else was done exactly as listed on the pillowcase dress. Considering that all I have made as an adult is curtains I believe it came out quite well. 

It was about $3.00 for the bias tape and Ric Rac. The ribbon was $4.00 but I only used a third of the roll and the fabric was left from another project. The elastic came from old clothes here at home thus it was free. So for about $4.50 and and hour of sewing time Maddy has a new dress.   











            

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always appreciated and I love to hear what you think. Especially my overseas reader! Have a great day!