I love life!

Hi, I am Jo and this is my blog about my life. Here you will find entries on cooking, gardening, food safety and the interesting things happening in my search for an inexpensive and healthy way of living. My home is located in North Florida and I am relearning how to take care of myself at almost 50. This is the deep South so my garden and season may be a bit different than yours. I look forward to seeing what you have to say as time passes. Read on and have a beautiful day!
Jo

Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Fourth of July!!!

Happy Fourth of July Everyone!



The Fourth tends to be a day of picnics, fireworks and hanging out with family and friends. Independence Day is a day to celebrate the signing of the Declaration of Independence which was only one step on the road to self governance for our nation.   Here is a link to a transcript of the full document to refresh your memory of the tyranny we fought against.  http://archives.gov/exhibits/charters/declaration_transcript.html

The War for Independence or Revolutionary War began in 1775 and lasted until 1783. What we are celebrating today is not winning our freedom but the the declaration that we were and continue to be a free nation. It took 8 years of battle on American soil and the intervention of France for us to become a sovereign country. The Declaration of Independence was the document that shouted to the world that we were done with being oppressed by King George III and were not going to take it anymore and we deserved to be free.  It took 7 more years of battle for that statement to become a reality.

So today let us think about what that document represents. Let us think about the men and women through the years who have stood up for not only our freedom from oppression but also for freedom from oppression in other parts of the world.

The history lesson and short speech are now over. It is time to make the brownies and prepare the items for our cook out tonight.

4th of July Menu

Caesar Salad
Oven Fried Potato Wedges (Potato Salad does not get eaten here)
Marinated Chicken Kabobs with Mushroom ,Onion and Bell Pepper
Marinated Beef Kabobs with Mushroom, Onion and Bell Pepper
Buttermilk Cornbread
Homemade Chocolate Brownies with Cream Cheese Icing

I'll post photos and recipes at a later time as I need to get cooking before the kids descend upon us.
Have a great 4th of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always appreciated and I love to hear what you think. Especially my overseas reader! Have a great day!