I love life!

Hi, I am Jo and this is my blog about my life. Here you will find entries on cooking, gardening, food safety and the interesting things happening in my search for an inexpensive and healthy way of living. My home is located in North Florida and I am relearning how to take care of myself at almost 50. This is the deep South so my garden and season may be a bit different than yours. I look forward to seeing what you have to say as time passes. Read on and have a beautiful day!
Jo

Saturday, January 12, 2013

And you could go lick a doorknob.....

This week found me flat on my back with full blown influenza.

As in fever, chills and downright miserable ickiness. All in all nowhere near my planned activities had intended me to be this week. Had I obtained my vaccine as suggested I should have been protected.

I did not. Thus 4 days in bed and today finds me bit more energetic, definitely cranky and ready to get out of the house. Which after writing this is what is planned. A short excursion to the store.

Let me just say the flu sucks! My body ached, the fever made me miserable and my bed head was atrocious. My awesome hubby brought me jello and gingerale as well as picked up my Tamiflu and cough syrup. (As he should have -I was in no shape to go anywhere).

After being admonished to stay home by the PA at the doctors office, my week was spent in the spare room- quarantined! And what did I do all week. Between naps I caught up on a couple blogs and read up on influenza. Figured it couldn't hurt since t.v. sucked and knowing thy enemy always helps.

After reading the CDC website and the Mayo clinic website I concluded the PA was correct and I did indeed have the flu (not that there was much of a doubt). Then after reading the comments on the CNN articles and the NPR articles I concluded people are morons!

Seriously, the lack of knowledge exhibited by people posting comments was pretty amazing! Wow- just- wow! So here are a few basic facts:

1) Influenza is a virus.
2) Viruses do not respond to antibiotics. They do respond to antivirals like Tamiflu and Relenza.
3) Influenza may cause a person to develop complications caused by bacteria- pneumonia is an example. Then antibiotics may be necessary.
4) A flu shot does not guarantee immunity and can help safeguard your health
5) If you are part of a susceptible i.e., elderly, chronic disease etc. you should be vaccinated.
6) Just because you have never had a vaccination and never had the flu does not mean you are automatically immune
7) It takes up to 2 weeks for the vaccine to be effective. You can become sick in that time period.
8) The vaccination covers three strains of the flu virus. The drug makers are making an educated guess when the vaccine is formulated each year. You come in contact with another strain after vaccination and then you may get the flu.
9) Tamiflu and like drugs have to be administered in the first 48 hours or they will not work properly. After that it is rest and plenty of fluids.
10) The flu is highly contagious! Stay home until you have been without a fever for 24 to 48 hours and that is without Tylenol or a like drug lowering it for you!!      

Oh and to the poster who said ".....licking a door knob is the same as a vaccine....." Wow!! Really??? Glad you are not my parent!

Seriously, this virus is tough. It hurts and at times it made me cry. I can't imagine my grandbabies feeling like I did. So if you have it -stay home. If your kids have symptoms keep them home. And vaccinate!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always appreciated and I love to hear what you think. Especially my overseas reader! Have a great day!