I love life!

Hi, I am Jo and this is my blog about my life. Here you will find entries on cooking, gardening, food safety and the interesting things happening in my search for an inexpensive and healthy way of living. My home is located in North Florida and I am relearning how to take care of myself at almost 50. This is the deep South so my garden and season may be a bit different than yours. I look forward to seeing what you have to say as time passes. Read on and have a beautiful day!
Jo

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Defining Success

Everything has been hectic, busy, chaotic and exhausting. Can you read that and believe it is in a good way?

After over a year of work we are beginning to pilot a training plan I wrote. Long hours last week, fighting to catch up this week and eventually, hopefully, get ahead to finalize the process. That is stress but it is GOOD stress.

Last week a coworker was sick and we happened to work together....thus my couch became my friend. A quick call went out to my P.A. and an Rx was called in to save the day. With asthma steroids are my friend.

Saturday was spent sleeping and Sunday running a half marathon. Yep- you read it correctly - I ran a half marathon. Why the heck not? I had trained- put in the miles and done the time. By golly! I was going to do it. And I did.

According to my Garmin at mile 10.37 I had an asthma attack. Alternating walking, running and sucking my inhaler got me to the finish. My husband ran the race then came back and met me at mile 12. Normally, I would have put on a brave face and gutted out the rest of the run. Pride and all. My body simply could not do it,so we walked fast and talked until the last .25 mile. That I ran in because  it is important to look good for the finish cameras. Vanity thy name is Jo. Here I must also admit my body was so done by that point that my left foot went numb on that last .25 mile. The finish photos probably looked like more of a gimp than a glorious run to the finish.

And you know what? It felt good. I gave 100% ( Not that bogus 110% people brag about. Though they are most likely the same people who say, " No pain- No Gain." and other such bulls#$%). I went home tired, wired and content with my performance. Then I slept. And slept and took more steroids and cough syrup and slept a lot of Monday as well.      

There was a time in the recent past I would have been upset by my performance. But I am not because I succeeded. On my terms. Go me!

2 comments:

Your comments are always appreciated and I love to hear what you think. Especially my overseas reader! Have a great day!