I love life!

Hi, I am Jo and this is my blog about my life. Here you will find entries on cooking, gardening, food safety and the interesting things happening in my search for an inexpensive and healthy way of living. My home is located in North Florida and I am relearning how to take care of myself at almost 50. This is the deep South so my garden and season may be a bit different than yours. I look forward to seeing what you have to say as time passes. Read on and have a beautiful day!
Jo

Friday, January 10, 2014

When it is out of your control....




Training for a half marathon is time consuming and up until a few weeks ago I put in the time.  The race is in 9 days and I will not be running. It is hard when meeting goals is out of your control.

My training had been going well and though my speed was not great my endurance was building. Then my body said, "Nope. Not only will you not run you can no longer eat anything with fat. Any time you eat fat your will double over in pain and suffer almost as much as a bad appendix." That is right, my gall bladder is not working very well. No stone just a WHOLE LOT OF PAIN. Whoever said ,"Pain is just weakness leaving the body." and "No, Pain. No, Gain!" was full of crap. Pain is pain and when it is too bad your life can suck at times.

Currently, my consumption of fat is less than 5g per meal on average. Did I mention I am losing weight?
Of necessity I am almost completely vegan. Eating fat ensures PAIN and discomfort after that for hours and that messes up my sleep. I nap a heck of a lot more and if I take the pain medicine I nap a h!@# of a lot more.

Running still happens only more infrequently, much more slowly and for shorter distances. I was down to 10 minute miles and am now back to 11 to 12 minute miles. Sadly, I do not see the surgeon for 2 more weeks. Then after surgery I will again be limited. Once recovery is over the training begins again.

Displaying photo.JPG
Back in the day....

Now I have another goal. A better goal. The USMC 1/2 Marathon. There is one in May in Quantico, VA and another in October in Jacksonville, FL. Why the Marine Corps Half??? See the picture above. I was 17 when it was taken on Parris Island.  It is all about Glory, Honor and Corps...Ooh Rah. Or something like that.

The hubs questioned my necessity to run that specific race and my reply was, "How many times have I been to Boston to watch you run? (Answer 9 this year). NewYork? (3) Ironman Races, Oh never mind I am signing us both up and you ARE going."

Now I just have to pick the race. Wish me luck!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always appreciated and I love to hear what you think. Especially my overseas reader! Have a great day!