I love life!

Hi, I am Jo and this is my blog about my life. Here you will find entries on cooking, gardening, food safety and the interesting things happening in my search for an inexpensive and healthy way of living. My home is located in North Florida and I am relearning how to take care of myself at almost 50. This is the deep South so my garden and season may be a bit different than yours. I look forward to seeing what you have to say as time passes. Read on and have a beautiful day!
Jo

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Think! A Positive Tirade on Food Safety

My days are spent doing inspections in food facilities. Most of the time the people who own them are good, honest, knowledgeable people. The ones today were especially up on the process they were performing. It absolutely made my day!

Then I got done and was confronted with another, tougher aspect of my job. Those that do not know and pretend that they do. "Those that do not know" are the biggest danger to the public. They have phrases like, "This is how people made this for centuries and no one died." and, " The health benefits of this far outweigh the risks." My answers, "Yes, people died. They just did not attribute it to the product you are making. Back then they also thought the night air carried vapors that caused the plague." "If there are considerable risks the benefits better be out of this world and immediately noticeable to make it worth my while. If not walk away."

"Those that do not know" TTDNK from here forward, are most likely, unpermitted and selling locally. However, once in a great while they turn out to be a major player in our food system. TTDNK are also wary of "big government" coming to shut them down.

The truth is- "Big government" does not want to shut them down. They want TTDNK to follow the law and prepare the food products they make safely. Safely means- the product won't harm anyone. Let me repeat that, it won't harm anyone. Just because, you with your cast iron gut can eat it and survive does not mean that  a 3 year old can consume it safely, or someone who is already ill can consume it safely. It is not based on your immunity.  Look up children, raw milk and E-coli. Google it go ahead. I will wait. Did you watch the video??? That is what I am talking about! If you didn't watch the video go back later- it is eye opening.

Proving that the food is safe is accomplished by this process called a scientific study. That is right science. Not pseudoscience, real hard science! The other key is that is not the, "Big Governments" job to prove that you product is safe! It is your job as the producer. This means the producer needs to do their homework. "Big Government" has all of the science at their fingertips. The producer needs to know the science as well as, if not better than the regulator.  If you are making a product you need to know your pathogens of concern and be able to explain how you are controlling the pertinent little buggers. Then you need to PROVE you are doing so. That is right here is that proof again.


Personally, you can make all of the pickles, jams and jellies that you want. The minute that food moves into commerce ALL bets are off. Homemade food is awesome. I garden, I can and preserve. I also do not sell it to anyone. It is for family use and I tend to stick to tried and true recipes.         

So here is the positive in my tirade. Every day in every state, there are countless inspectors doing their jobs. We are ensuring that what is purchased in the retail establishments and restaurants is as safe as we can make it. Every day countless unsafe practices are stopped and you, the general public, never know it even happened. Every day a silent group of unnamed people, sometimes labeled, "Big Government", are looking out for you. And that is regardless of what they are called and how they are treated. Every day countless recalls of foods take place that you never hear about. Every day countless food borne illness outbreaks are aborted by removing dangerous foods from the system. It does not matter if you know about it or not. It is happening all around you. And that is positive!!     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always appreciated and I love to hear what you think. Especially my overseas reader! Have a great day!